Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reaching Higher Ground

Early today someone asked me how he could raise his vibration to a higher level. You’d think it would be easy, but my friend was having difficulty.

We are after all, nothing more than whirling bundles of discrete energy. Our bodies are made of space and electrons and neutrons and bits of this and that. And all energy has vibration. So as sentient beings we ought to be able exert a little control over the ‘vibes’ we give out to others. We ought, as spiritual people, be able to exude such balanced energy that we immediately soothe all those we come in contact with and have nothing but happy encounters. Yeah right.

Many days I deal with the public and lately they have been a difficult lot. They are angry, resentful, rage-filled, and insulting. At least they are when they are confronting the legal system. And many times the legal system is confronting them. So I suppose they are entitled to be cranky. I smile benignly and offer help and stifle the urge to match their negative remarks with retorts of my own. It’s a real challenge, though, when they make disparaging remarks about attorneys, about women, about the judicial system, and me. After all, I’m standing in front of them, making them face their unpleasant situation.

So after work today I took a walk. And before I padded out the door I slipped a lovely crystal in my pocket: a gorgeous piece of lakeshore prehnite from my friend Barbara, of the Keeweenaw in Upper Michigan. As I walked, and rolled the crystal in my hand, I began to feel calmer and lighter. I thought of Barbara and her lake. And of my own water here by the Pacific Ocean. I felt the crystal buzz with its ancient energy. And for some whimsical reason Stevie Wonder started singing “Higher Ground” in my head. The brain is a fine computer and I played all the intricate melodies and complex rhythms of that great song out in my mind. And as I walked, the day’s tensions and inequities melted away. I could return to my home refreshed and with my vibration raised up. All thanks to a walk, focusing on a crystal, and Mr. Wonder’s magical music.

“I’m so glad that he let me try it again/Cause my last time on earth I lived a whole world of sin/I’m so glad that I know more than I knew then/Gonna keep on tryin”Till I reach my highest ground” -Stevie Wonder. Higher Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment